Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chapter Five

A/N: Hi! *Waves hands*
Your response to the last chapter was AMAZING! I though I would give you a bit of a bonus since you took the time to leave me some love.
I nearly had a heart attack this week when Arabella's and butterflybetty alerted this story. Their work (Rosebud and Taking Chances – among others) are on my favorites list and I was honored that they put me on alert. 

Melanie- you have already seen this chapter (Obviously) but you know where your shout out is. I just love reading all the things she adds to this Edward. I think she might have a thing for him ;-)
Your reviews continue to blow me away! I think if I had made Jasper bad in this story I might have had to go into the Witness Protection Program. Not to worry… 

"No, please. Just give me a minute to explain." Jasper pleaded as Bella hid behind Esme, grabbing hold of Edward's shirt when he moved towards Jasper. The minute the word was out of her mouth, Edward understood…Jasper was one of the police officers that had frequented the house, getting her hopes up every time he came into the room in his familiar uniform, only to dash them when he would take one of the girls into one of the back rooms. He growled low in his chest when Jasper started to move forward and it was only Bella's tight grip on his sleeve that kept him from beating the shit out of his long-time friend.

"I was undercover. I didn't do anything to those girls, - I just tried to get them to talk, I swear. I never touched them." He said and Edward could see Emmett standing behind him nodding. So if what he said was true, why did they not shut the whole thing down already and get those poor girls someplace safe? As if Jasper could read Edward's mind, he continued.

"We just needed to get a final count on how many girls were there and which ones were held against their will."

"Against their will?" Bella rasped from over Esme's shoulder. "I'll tell you which ones were held against their will. I was one, and so was Charlotte…whose name used to be Angela, before the bastards tied her to a chair and withheld food and water for three days until she finally broke and did whatever they asked of her. It took me two weeks to convince them that I was who they wanted me to be, but I would never let them see the real me. I would answer to the name they wanted and did the things they forced me to do, but I never broke. Now, do you need more names or is that enough?" She snarled and Edward could not keep the proud smile from spreading across his face. Bella was a fierce little thing when she was angry.

"I understand how you feel Tanya, but-" Jasper said but was stunned silent as Esme and Edward went from shielding Bella from Jasper to holding her back as she lunged for him.

"Don't you call me that you bastard! My name is Bella, I was never Tanya. Now if you aren't going to help me get those other girls out of there, I will find someone else who will, because I can't sleep in a warm bed knowing the kinds of things they are making those girls do. I lived through it; I can't let anyone else have to suffer the same." She yelled, the fight leaving her as she felt exhaustion overtaking her once again. Edward pulled her up into his arms as her legs collapsed underneath her. She rested her head against his shoulder and inhaled his scent, the cinnamon and spice soothing her.

"Bella, I'm sorry. You have to believe that I want to get those girls out of there just as much as you do, but if I don't do things by the book, those men will get off and just start up somewhere else. You want them to get punished for what they have done, don't you?" He implored and Edward felt her nod weakly against his shoulder.

"Why don't we talk about this later, she needs sleep." Edward said as his mother ushered everyone out of the room. Edward laid her down on the bed, settling next to her as he heard the door click shut. He propped himself up on his elbow and looked down at her as she snuggled into his side, her arm thrown over his side. She nuzzled her face into his chest like a bunny rabbit and he chuckled at the visual. She brought her sleepy gaze up to his face and smiled slightly, not embarrassed in the least to have been caught.

"You just smell so good." She whispered before her eyes fluttered closed. Edward dropped his head to the pillow next to her, exhaustion taking hold and forcing his own eyes closed.

**()*()**

"When are you going to be able to raid the house?" Carlisle asked as Jasper flopped down into the chair at the kitchen table. Esme had started a pot of coffee and Emmett and Carlisle joined Jasper at the table.

"I have been going every night for the last two months. Always using the same girl to try and gain her trust, but man they have those girls so brainwashed, all she would do was sit there and try to get me to fuck her…sorry Esme." Jasper said shyly, blushing scarlet at his unintentional slip. Esme tossed her hand at him and sighed.
"Jasper, after seeing the marks on Bella and hearing the few things she has told us about her life there, that word is not going to bother me much." She said as she set three cups on the table as well as a pitcher of cream and the sugar bowl. Carlisle pulled her down into his lap when she passed and she relaxed against his chest.

"I need to contact my Commander and let him know that one of the girls has escaped. He might want me to go in there now and see how they are reacting to it." He sighed as he stood and pulled his cell phone from the holder on his belt, speaking quietly into it.

Emmett got up and poured the coffee into the cups on the table, plopping a huge spoonful of sugar into his cup before stirring it restlessly. He startled when his father spoke.

"Were you involved in this investigation at all?" Emmett shook his head before answering.

"No, the Commander knew after what we went through with Rose I might not be the best choice." He said before dropping his forehead to the table. "All I keep picturing is Rose. I don't know what would be worse, dealing with it for weeks on end with no thought of getting out, or having it go as far as it did but be able to go back to your normal life after." Esme pushed away from Carlisle and wrapped herself around her oldest son.
"I don't think either option would be good baby, but I know how strong Rose is and I can see that Bella has a bit of that strength in her as well. These girls are fighters Emmett; Rose has shown you that time and time again. She did not let her attack ruin her, and neither did you. I have never been prouder than I was that day when you held her in the emergency room. None of this was your fault, just like it was not Edward's or Rose's or even Bella's. No one asked to be treated like that baby, we just have to make sure we give them all the love and support we can while we help them heal. At least Rose got the justice she deserved for her attack. We can only hope that Bella will get the same."

"I have to go back in tonight. The Commander wants to make sure they are not planning on moving now that one of the girls is gone." Jasper huffed as he returned to the room and picked up the cooling coffee. He drank it all at once, wincing slightly at the bitter taste before slapping Emmett on the back.

"I'll keep you updated." He said before he left.

**()*()**

Edward rolled over, his hand searching the bed for Bella's warmth. He had stayed close to her through the night, hoping he might be able to keep the nightmares at bay. Finding the sheets cool to the touch he shot up from the pillows, desperate to make sure it had not been a dream. He did not have to search long. Bella was wrapped up in a blanket, sitting on the window seat. Edward's childhood bedroom was still the same as it was before he left for Culinary School. His books and CDs still filled the dark wood bookshelf and his stereo took up most of the desk. The California king-sized bed took up most of the room with its rich gold bedding. 

The walls were painted deep red with slate gray drapes pulled to the side of the huge bay window that dominated the south wall. Bella was sitting with her knees pulled up to her chest, staring out at the view below.
Bella had lived her entire life near the water. Forks, Washington was not technically on the water, but she had a second home with her father's best friend in La Push. There, on the edge of the Quileute Indian reservation, Bella found her favorite place. The cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean became her sanctuary. When she was old enough to know how her mother died, she sat at the edge of the rocks and stared down at the pounding waves, wishing that the water could wash away the pain and guilt she felt as it did the rocks and sand below. The water made everything fresh and new, no matter how much debris was in its path. Now, staring at an entirely different Ocean, Bella once again wished there was some way the waves could wash away the filth.
"Bella?" Edward rasped as he swung his legs to the floor and started towards her. He would have expected her to be cautious of him after the night she had, but she just looked up at him as he approached.

"Don't you have to go open the bakery?" She whispered, her throat still sore from screaming during her nightmare.

"No, my sister-in-law is taking care of things this morning." He answered as he sat down next to her on the bench, looking out the window as the first signs of light peeked over the waves. They watched together as the sky moved from deepest purple to pink and gold as the sun rose. Soon it was so bright that Bella had to turn away, her eyes meeting Edward's. He was beautiful in the morning light and she wished she had a camera to capture him. His auburn hair was haloed in golden light, making him look even more like the angel she thought him to be. His green eyes were darker than they had been, a perfect foil to his pale complexion. She could not stop herself from reaching forward to see if his skin was as smooth as it looked. His eyes closed as her fingers grazed his jaw and she giggled as his prickly whiskers scratched at her skin. She cradled his jaw in her hand as she leaned forward and pressed her lips to his in a chaste kiss. He opened his eyes as she released his face and looked down at her in awe.

"That was what my first kiss should have been like." She whispered as she blushed and looked down at her lap.

A/N: So fucking sweet. I love this Edward…although just wait till we see some more Jasper!
Hit me up on Facebook – Kitkat Cullen - we are dicussing what Edward's bakery should be named!

No comments:

Post a Comment